Published on April 25th, 2018 | by The Prodigy0
Happy Birthday, YouTube!
By Uncle Chris
YouTube turned 13 years old today, we talked about it a little on BJ & Migs, so I wanted to share with you some thoughts about that and maybe link a few of my favorite channels for your perusal.
The number of options that we have for the way we consume entertainment has grown exponentially in the last couple of decades. Between expanded cable and satellite TV, streaming and On Demand apps and services, and just plain goofing off on The Internet, we are living in a golden age of technological entertainment. We can watch anything we want, any time we want, and most of us have at least two or three different devices to watch what we want, too.
YouTube gives us thousands, if not millions of entertainment options. News, sports, music, pop culture, gaming, instruction, education, “more”. All of these are available on YouTube and all can be discovered and explored quickly and easily.
Where YouTube really sets itself apart, however, is in the fact that anyone, anywhere can upload their own content and put it out there for the world to see. Some people have even become national and international celebrities doing that. Sure, there are other options for getting your face on The Internet, but none of them is as well-known or successful as YouTube has become.
Think about how you get your entertainment on an average day. If you’re reading this, I’d be willing to bet that you spend at least a couple of hours every day watching YouTube videos. If you’re anything like me, sometimes that stretches out to four or five hours per day. In fact, some of my favorite shows right now are YouTube shows. Good Mythical Morning, Beer & Board Games, Shut Up & Sit Down are three shows that I usually don’t go more than a day without watching, but there are at least a dozen shows that I watch and re-watch regularly.
Here are a few of my favorite channels, some you’ve probably heard of, one or two that maybe you haven’t, either way, I hope you check ’em out and enjoy!
Good Mythical Morning: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4PooiX37Pld1T8J5SYT-SQ
– Rhett & Link do a ton of food challenges, some general triva, they have a ton of guest hosts from all over the entertainment world, and share some of the funniest interactions ever recorded for my viewing pleasure.
Blame Society: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCohfGoL208cZbSSlXgMNUiA
– Beer & Board Games (friends getting drunk and gaming), Welcome to the Basement (two guys reviewing all kinds of movies), Chad Vader (Darth’s less successful brother who manages a grocery store), all perpetrated by a group of extremely talented improv actors and comedians.
Geek and Sundry: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaBf1a-dpIsw8OxqH4ki2Kg
– Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton spearhead some of the geekiest edutainment on The Internet with numerous shows and event coverage, original series, and informative “how-to for geeks” content.
Shut Up & Sit Down: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyRhIGDUKdIOw07Pd8pHxCw
– A couple of british dudes explain how to play board games. Entertaining in a way that one normally would not expect from insrtuctional videos, these guys crack me up every time!
– Along with Grace Helbig (Daily Grace and others) and Hannah Hart (My Drunk Kitchen), Mamrie and “The Holy Trinity” of YouTube provide non-stop hilarity with their comletely off-the-wall take on life as an internet celebrity while also providing helpful cooking, bartending, and style tips. Check out all three!